Ellie Christon's strike helped Durham Women on their way to a 1-1 draw against Yeovil in their final game of WSL 2.
Christon scored her first goal for the club when she put the home side ahead in the 27th minute when Zoe Ness’ cross found Ellie Christon who poked the ball into the back of the net.
It was in the 38th minute when Sarah Wiltshire made the most of the weather conditions to beat Danielle Hill and make the scores level.
With the wind swirling throughout the game, the opening exchanges between the two sides saw both find a way to deal with the conditions.
Durham’s first attack of the match came when Beth Hepple burst into the box before her shot was blocked. The rebound fell to Zoe Ness but it too was blocked by Yeovil’s central defenders.
Another chance followed when Caroline Dixon played the ball through to Jemma Purfield who cut inside before her shot on goal went narrowly wide.
The Wildcats period of pressure paid off when Christon found herself at the back post to latch on to Ness’ cross to give Durham the lead.
Durham could have doubled their advantage just minutes later when Jordan Atkinson sprinted down the wing to cut inside and produced a shot that tested Charlotte Haynes in the Yeovil goal.
But it was Yeovil who found the net next when Wiltshire got in behind the Durham defence to slot the ball over Hill and despite Dixon trying her best to clear the ball off the line, Yeovil were back in the game.
Half-time and it was 1-1 between the two sides.
Durham started the second-half brightly when Sarah Wilson’s volley from a Hepple corner had to be blocked and cleared.
It was Wiltshire who was on the prowl again when she had a left-footed effort that was saved easily by Hill.
Despite Yeovil having a period of strong pressure, it was Durham who continued to carve out chances. Christon played in Atkinson whose swerving shot had to be saved by Haynes. Yeovil responded and in the 71st minute when their effort goal struck the near post after the ball swerved in the ball before the rebound was sent over the bar.
Durham had two chances to win the game in the last 10 minutes of the gam, first when Ness hit a shot from the edge of the area that was deflected off Linsley and Haynes had to react quickly to save the effort.
The second came when Emily Scott’s cross found Dixon in the box and her effort goalwards went narrowly wide.
The whistle blew and Durham secured a point.


Durham W vs Yeovil W


Print Friendly, PDF & Email


Date Time League Season Full Time
October 26, 2014 12:00 pm WSL2 2014 0'


New Ferens Park