Durham Women lost their third fixture of the Continental Cup as they fell to a 3-0 defeat against Everton Ladies. Goals from Simone Magill and Kelly Jones were enough to seal the victory for the FA Cup finalists.
Their first goal came in late in the first-half when Jones curled the ball into the back of the net. Magill doubled their advantage early in the second-half after her rebound shot went into the back of the net.
It was the home side that started brightly with Kelly Jones almost scoring after meeting Murphy’s cross before blasting her shot over the bar. Everton continued to apply pressure in the following minutes but it was Durham’s defence who were standing strong.
Danielle Hill twice to Durham’s aid, standing tall to deny first Jones who beat the offside trap before her attempted chip went straight into the hands of Hill. The goalkeeper was there once again after Lucy Whipp almost capitalised on a defensive error by the Wildcats.
Durham’s best chance of the first half fell to captain Caroline Dixon. After Durham won a freekick, Beth Hepple whipped the ball into the box for Dixon to meet with a glancing header that trickled across the face of goal.
Striker Rosie Young could have easily given the away side the lead when Ness’ long ball forward found her through on goal but her header was straight at Everton’s goalkeeper Megan Walsh.
But it was in the 39th minute when the FA Cup finalists took the lead and it was Vicky Jones who had been causing trouble throughout get her name on the scoresheet. Her curling effort inside the box found its way past Hill and into the back of the net.
Half-time and it was Everton 1 – 0 Durham.
Five minutes into the second half and Everton had doubled their advantage. Jones found herself through on goal again only for Hill to stick out her left leg to deny her. The rebound fell to Simone Magill who slotted the ball into the back of the net to give Everton a two-goal lead.
On the hour mark Durham had their best chance to get themselves back into the game when Zoe Ness made the most of being through on goal. Her powerful stike was saved by Walsh before falling back to Ness who put the rebound over the bar.
The remainder of the game saw the WSL 1 side began to dominate the tie, continuing to apply pressure on Durham with Magill and Jones both having efforts on goal once again.
There was still time for a third goal and it was scored by the home side in the 86th minute when Lauren Davies strike from distance went into the back of the net.
Despite six minutes of added time that was all there was time for and Durham were beaten 3-0


Everton W vs Durham W


Print Friendly, PDF & Email


Date Time League Season Full Time
May 14, 2014 7:00 pm Continental Tyres League Cup 2014 0'


Walton Hall Park
Walton Hall Park, Walton, Liverpool, North West England, England, L4 9XP, United Kingdom


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Everton W123Win
Durham W000Draw